|Title:||Transmission and Substation Estimator|
North Houston Pole Line was founded in 1970 to primarily perform overhead distribution work in Houston. The company offers a full range of power and telecommunication utility services. From 250-plus feet overhead to 20-plus feet underground, North Houston Pole Line can provide all of its customer’s utility needs. Additionally, it provides substations, transmission, distribution, power duct bank, telecommunications, and gas services.
North Houston Pole Line is a subsidiary of Quanta Services, which offers a range of specialized contracting services that include the design, installation, maintenance and repair of virtually every type of network infrastructure. Quanta delivers end-to-end network solutions for the electric power, telecommunications, broadband cable and gas pipeline industries.
Job Title: Transmission and Substation Estimator
Location: Houston, Texas
North Houston Pole Line is seeking an experienced High Voltage Transmission and Substation Estimator.
Job duties, expectations and responsibilities include the following:
- Preparation and submittal of detailed estimates for Transmission and Substation Projects. Projects may include greenfield, brownfield, new and rebuild construction projects
- Must be well equipped to organize and analyze customer provided Scope, Drawings, Schedule, Google Earth files, etc.
- Ability to prepare detailed estimates drawing from proposals, subcontractors, specifications, and other related documents
- Must have in depth experience and possess a working knowledge of High Voltage Transmission and Substation construction/industry with practical application. Projects may range in voltage up to 500kV
- Attend customer pre-bid meetings or conferences
- Prepare, submit, and respond to RFPs as required.
- Clearly communicate with engineers, owners, contractors, subcontractors during estimate regarding technical questions and/or the development of changes and adjustments to scope and cost estimates
- Compute costs by analyzing labor, equipment, material, and time requirements. Gather costs from multiple subcontractors
- Lead estimate reviews and work with Operations Team during estimate preparation period.
- Organize and post bids on multiple customer bid platforms
- Manage Customer communications during estimating phase of projects
- Possess ability to review, comprehend and comply with multiple customer contracts
- Upon project award, support smooth exchange of project details from Estimating to Operations and Project Management Team
- Participate in and support Proposal development for large projects
- Prepare and Maintain a directory of contractors, suppliers, and subcontractors
Additional Skills & Desirable Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of personal computers and software applications with MS office application proficiency – including but not limited to Word, Microsoft Project, Power Point and Excel
- Primavera proficiency not required - but a plus
- Demonstrated skills in written communications; ability to compose basic as well as complex technical documents, formal letters, invoices
- Demonstrated skills in oral communications
- Experience working directly with customers in the development of Transmission Lines projects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Organizational, planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated negotiating and decision-making skills
- Working knowledge of project accounting practices and financial systems
- Experience driven understanding of Fixed Price, Time & Equipment, Cost Plus and Unit contract pricing mechanisms
- Self-motivated, self-learner, capable of working autonomously with ability to work well under pressure, respond appropriately to changing priorities and unexpected situations
- Ability to maintain and protect confidential information
- Accommodate occasional travel schedule as required for pre-bid or project site reviews
- Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing additional tasks as needed
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: